Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dparikh

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
When i select dates through cal in my application formate is 1/1/2001 . In my database date col is string. My SQL query is like this
select c.checkdate,c.grosspay, c.amountofcheck from empcheckinfo c,empdetailinfo e
where e.ssn = '111-11-111'
and e.empnumber = c.empnumber
and right(c.checkdate,4) + left(c.checkdate,4) between '1/1/2001' and '12/31/2001'
I get this result in debug.print sql (when i runt this query in sql i dont get any records ) But if i do
select c.checkdate,c.grosspay, c.amountofcheck from empcheckinfo c,empdetailinfo e
where e.ssn = '111-11-111'
and e.empnumber = c.empnumber
and right(c.checkdate,4) + left(c.checkdate,4) between '01012001' and '12312001'
I get all the records. HOw do i slove this problem .
Thanks in Advance

If you are referring to your date field as "right(c.checkdate,4) + left(c.checkdate,4) " you need to have the year first in the string following the "between", e.g. '20011/1/'. You are also not allowing for the fact that your month & day strings can be 1 or 2 chrs long.

Hope this helps,
Ralph

But Data in my tables stores date as char and formate is 12311998. I am not sure how do i change the formate.
Thanks for your help

If you are ghetting the records that you want whyu change the format of the data in the database? Instead why notwrite a small function that converts the string into a readable date when you deal with the recordset or display the date for the user.

If you know the format is always ddmmyyyy then you couls write a function like the one below to convert the strings to a useable date.

Private Function ToDate(pString) As Date
Dim NewDate As String

NewDate = Left(pString, 2) & "/" & Mid(pString, 3, 2) & "/" & Right(pString, 4)
ToDate = CDate(NewDate)
End Function
Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back