Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

date on desktop changes unexpectantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliboone

Programmer
Mar 23, 2004
US
I have a Compaq iPaq desktop that is 2 years old running XP Pro. Last week the date and time kept changing so I figured the CMOS battery needed replaced. I replaced it 2 days ago but the date was off again today. (the time was ok)

Does anyone know what else could be causing this? I replaced the CMOS battery with the same model number (CR2032) The original CMOS battery was a Panasonic. I replaced it with an Energizer. (although I wouldn't think that should make any difference.)

Thanks, Eli

Do you possibly have one or more 3rd party programs/"services" running which would edit the time, and possibly causing a conflict?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

I also have noticed this on some of our XP computers running Dell. I would come to take a look and notice that the time is off by 12 hours and the date is WAY OFF (55 years or so)!

Anyways, I noticed that some users have something called Date Manager installed (Spyware most likely) which may be causing that. I didn't really bother to say anything because I'm not in charge of security and I'm only here on co-op (I know it's not an excuse).

We don't have an enforced policy here so I'm not going to change that. Plus, I'm only here to help out and get experience, not change the way they do things.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

It wouldn't be a bad idea to download and install Ad-Aware to see if they have spyware on the machines, and remove if so, and if that fixes it, done deal. Ad-Aware's website is but you can download it at many times.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Thanks for all of the replies. This computer has Ad-Aware 6.0 already installed with all of the current updates. However, I doubt that the user has ran it since I last did a week ago. I will have him run it.

This user does have MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger running all day long along with a couple of browsers. (he unfortunately surfs a lot)

Eli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back