Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blairclw

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
I have a report that shows me the employees HIREDATE. What I would like is to be able to only pull employees who's anniversary date is for the current month.....
{EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}

Try this

Month({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) = month(currentdate))

-lw

Thanks.....maybe you can tell me this. I have years of service using this formula that works great.
Datediff ("yyyy", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate)

The thing is, if the person has been here less then 1 year it will show 0. Is there a way, I can have it show their actual months. So if that person has only been here for 8 months, that is what it will show vs. 0 ?

I just happened to have what you are looking for.

Code:
if isnull({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) then 0
else If cstr({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate},"MMdd") <= cstr(CurrentDate,"MMdd") then 
Year(CurrentDate) - Year({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) 
else 
Year(CurrentDate) - Year({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) - 1

-lw

Ooops... misread the post. For our purposes, reporting YOS is based on completed years only.

Still showing 0 for those less then 1 year. Any other suggestions?

OK. Try this....

Code:
numbervar n;

else If cstr({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate},"MMdd") <= cstr(CurrentDate,"MMdd") then 
n := Year(CurrentDate) - Year({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) 
else 
n := Year(CurrentDate) - Year({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) - 1;

if n > 0 then totext(n,0) & " Yrs"
else  totext(datediff("m",{EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate},currentdate),0) & " Mo"

Nope,it still shows 0 with the word months behind it.

First, this is probably incorrect:

Datediff ("yyyy", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate)

All that does is subtract the year portions, so if they started work on December 31st, and you ran it on January 1st, they'd have worked 1 year, however if they started on January 1st and you ran it on December 31st, it would be 0 years.

Anyway, you can just base it on the value of your formula:

if Datediff ("yyyy", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate) < 1 then
"Months "& Datediff ("m", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate)
else
"Years "& Datediff ("m", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate)

-k

This one might be easier.....based on your formula to pull in current month
Month({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) = month(currentdate))

Instead of pulling in "current" month, how can I pull in whatever month I need? I tried changing the last part of the formula but its not working.

That's strange.... it works for me. I am using Crystal 8.5 with ODBC Connection to Oracle DB

I simply replaced my field name with yours.

I basically added a local variable, n and evaluated it.

After assigning the years to n, I then check to see if n = 0. If not = 0, then I convert the number to a text format and add "Yrs" after it. Otherwise, I use the datediff to get the months and add "mo" after it to indicate months

You might check out the hire_date. If less than a month, you will get a 0 with "Mo" added on.

-lw

I'm sorry, guys I don't know why I can't get this to work. I'm copying your formula over into my report and there are no errors but when I run it, it doesn't give me 8 months it stills give me 0 months.

Thanks for all the help. I've learned Crystal on my own and I'm not up on all the technical formulas. I'm still in the learning curve on this one.

Post the formula and the records that you are evaluating.

You might change the record selection to isolate it to just this year's data and reduce the volume.

{EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate} in YearToDate

In this formula, this will pull in the current employees who's hire date was in the current month. How can I do the formula where if I need to pull September employees now, I can?

Month({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) = month(currentdate)

If you are not wanting to use parameters, then

month({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate})= month( dateserial(year(currentdate),month(currentdate)+1,1))

-lw

My formula had a typo:

if Datediff ("yyyy", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate) < 1 then
else
"Years "& Datediff ("yyyy", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate)

-k

Synapsevampire, the formula is still not pulling in just months. It now is rounding the 0 up to 1. So if the employee has been here 8 months, it shows year 1.

Hi,
Please copy your formula exactly as written and indicate where it is placed in the report..Also provide some of the dates that cause the 0 result..

I just tested Synapse's code on my data ( very similar to yours) and it worked fine..

BTW, what database and connectivity?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Year(CurrentDate) - Year({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate})
else
Year(CurrentDate) - Year({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}) - 1

I actually created a formula for Years of Service by using their Last hire date and then placed it in my report. I'm using Crystal Reports 9.

Some dates are:

Hire date
9/14/2004
9/23/2004
9/28/2004

Hi,
The formula you posted is not the same as the one Synapse posted did you try?
Code:
else if Datediff ("yyyy",({EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}}, CurrentDate) < 1 then
else
"Years "& Datediff ("yyyy", {EmployeePos_Stat_Curr.LastHireDate}, CurrentDate)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back