Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date format in Informax SQL query

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheryl27284

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
I have a field called row_date which looks like: 05/01/2005.. It's in the date format. If I use MONTH(row_date) as Mnth, it comes out as a 5. I would like to format the date as May. Does anyone know a different function I could use? Thanks!

Depending of your version, you may try this:
SELECT TO_CHAR(row_date , '%B') AS Mnth

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I'm getting a syntax error on the TO_CHAR(row_date , '%B') AS Mnt.. Is that the letter B?

I finally got it to work:) thanks!! New issue, when I order by 1(first column) It puts the months in ABC order instead of month order. What do I do now? Thanks!

Have you considered using a case statement in the select:

Code:
SELECT month(shiftdate),
       CASE
       WHEN month(shiftdate) = 1 THEN "Jan"
       WHEN month(shiftdate) = 2 THEN "Feb"
       WHEN month(shiftdate) = 3 THEN "Mar"
       END CASE
       FROM c_shiftacc ORDER BY 1

This adds another column to the select which might not be what you want.

I have the month showing now, I just need it to sort by month and recognize that it's a date and not a text field. Right now it sorts in ABC order. Can someone help?

Simply add a MONTH(row_date) column and sort by it.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back