Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date field question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

th201

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US
Does FM Pro 8 have an actual current date field that uses my computers clock. I know that there is the "Date Symbol" that shows the date accordingly but I cannot use it in a calculation or can I? The Get (current date) option does not update itself, it merely inserts the current date into the specified field and will not change unless I reinsert the current date. Any advise would be helpful.

th201,

I think you are asking if FileMaker has the ability to show a re dynamic clock on a layout. By dynamic I mean a clock where you can see the seconds or minutes as they tick by.

If that is your question the answer is not really. The best you could do is place a field on the layout using the Get ( CurrentTime ) function as you have noted. You could place a button next to it and bind it to the Refresh Window script step but you would have to press the button to make it display a snapshot of the actual time.

Assuming you are on Windows like most people; you do know that you can have the Windows OS display the time dynamically in the lower right corner of the screen?

-Striker

Thanks for the tip. But does FM have something for the date also, without me having to refresh the specified date field each day?

th201,

You can do the same thing with Get ( CurrentDate ) but I'm not sure that is what you are asking. In version 7 and 8 there is a Get ( TimeStamp ) function that returns the date and time in a single field. Maybe this is more appropriate for what you are doing.

At any rate, none of the things I have mentioned are dynamic.

-Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back