Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date Difference in EXCEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
GB
Hi,

I Have a column in Excel which contains a date in the following format .... and i wish to have another column which contains the length of time that an article has been owned and to show the date in Months and Years.

This date will always be related to the NOW () function.

see example

Date Purchased
11th February 2005

Total Length of ownership

?????????????????? to be as 1 Year and 3 months

Can this be done in Excel ?

regards

Rdrunner

I will say what I always say when answering this question.....why ??

a month (and even a year) is an arbitrary amount of time of between 28 & 31 days. Ergo, we cannot really count using it. You would be better off just using number of weeks.

Having said all that, the simple answer is to subtract 1 from the other and format as [yy]/mm so:

=B2-A2
format as [yy]:mm

where purchased date in A2 & '=Now()' in B2

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Hi have done that and the date format is incorrect ....

I have a done as as suggested my date on the pc is 3 april 2006 and i pasted it in the cell as suggested and the format i received is as follows

B43 = 24/03/2004

B44 = =Now() - B43

= 1902-01-09

What am i doing wrong .....

rdrunner

FYI: Why do Dates and Times seem to be so much trouble? faq68-5827

So knowing that, what is the date serial value of B43 (Format GENERAL)?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] A chicken, who would drag a wagon across the road for 2 cents, is…
POULTRY in motion to PULLET for a PALTRY amount! [tongue][/sub]

Have you gone under formatcells and change the date setting?

Ther are several different date styles you can choose and it sounds like you need to change you date format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back