Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Date between two or more records min and max dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorny00

Programmer
Feb 20, 2003
US
For simplicity, I have a table – Claims that has memberid and dateof service. My other table – Elig has membered, mineffectivedate and maxeffectivedate. Now a member could have several records in the Elig table. I need to find records where the dateof service is not between any of the Elig records. Example –
Claims table
MemberID DateofService
123456 5/2/2011

Elig Table
MemberID MinEffectiveDate MaxEffective Date
123456 1/1/2011 4/1/2011
123456 6/1/2011 12/31/2011

Because there is a gap in the dates and the claim record is between that gap, I need that record. This is what I’ve started but it isn’t working correctly. Thanks!
select mc.MemberID
from dbo.tbl_MedicalClaims mc left outer join
dbo.vu_MemberEligibility me on mc.MemberID = me.MemberID and mc.FeedID = me.FeedID
where mc.FeedID = '1'
group by mc.MemberID, me.MinEffectiveDate, me.MaxTerminationDate,mc.DateOfService
having mc.DateOfService not between max(me.MinEffectiveDate) and min(me.MaxTerminationDate)

Code:
DECLARE @Claims table (MemberID int, DateofService datetime)
INSERT INTO @Claims VALUES(123456, '20110502')

DECLARE @Elig Table(MemberID int,  MinEffectiveDate datetime, MaxEffectiveDate datetime)
INSERT INTO @Elig VALUES(123456,'20110101', '20110401')
INSERT INTO @Elig VALUES(123456,'20110601', '20111231')

SELECT Claims.*
FROM @Claims Claims
LEFT JOIN @Elig Elig ON Claims.MemberID = Elig.MemberID AND
                        Claims.DateofService BETWEEN Elig.MinEffectiveDate AND Elig.MaxEffectiveDate
WHERE Elig.MemberID IS NULL
Is that what you need?

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server

Sorry bborissov that is not what I need. The example I gave is just one record out of thousands. I need to look at each members memberid in tbl_Claims and see if there dateofservice falls between a gap of their records in tbl_Elig. A member can go out and in eligibility several times.

Why does that not work? That's exacly how I would have responded.

You've got questions and source code. We want both!
Here at tek tips, we provide a hand up, not a hand out.

Please post some example data and desired result from it.

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back