Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DATE BASED QUERY - IIf STATEMENT NOT WORKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssnake57

MIS
Sep 19, 2002
US
I have a DataBase Table [Unit_Rental_Info]. My fields are [Unit #], [Total Cost], [Change Date], [New Cost]. I need my code set up so that in my Query it will show the [Total Cost] for all date ranges up to [Change Date], and the [New Cost] for all date ranges after Change Date?
I tried

IIf([OpData]![Month] <= [Unit_Rental_Info]![Change Date], [Unit_Rental_Info]![Total Cost], [Unit_Rental_Info]![New Cost]).

I have tried this as a Query Field and as a Criteria and I the results are not accurate. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Larry

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want. First Where does the [OpData]![Month] come in?

If what you want is to show, for all records in the &quot;Unit_Rental_Info&quot; table, the field [Total Cost] for anything with a change date before and including today and [New Cost] for everything tomorrow and beyond, I don't see why you would not use this query:
IIf([Unit_Rental_Info]![Change Date]<=Date(),[Unit_Rental_Info]![Total Cost],[Unit_Rental_Info]![New Cost])

Otherwise, please explain where the [OpData]![Month] comes in and perhaps I can help you further.

Thank You for your response, nsukari

I apologize, The Table [OpData] is a table of operational data on rental equipment. The Field [OpData]![Month] is the month in which that data was recorded. The Table [Unit_Rental_Info] relates to the monthly rent that is paid on the equipment.
[Total Cost] is the name of the current Rental Cost Field and [New Cost]is the name of the field related to a new Rate Increase and [Change Date] is the field to record when the Rate changed.

My problem arises when I do a report based on a time frame (say a quarter) in which there has been a rate increase. I need the data to show the accurate costs for the months before and after a Rate increase. At this time I am getting duplicate records with both old and new rental rates on the units that have eseen a rate increase.

Larry

One other bit of information, The fields [Change Date] and [New Cost] are Null if no Rate increase has been implemented on specific Units. [UnitID] is a filed in both tables.

Do you have this in your query?

INNER JOIN OpData ON Unit_Rental_Info.UnitID = OpData.UnitID

When I set up two sample tables with the same fields and used your query, it worked for me without giving me duplicates. Without that statement, you get duplicates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back