Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DataTableView 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonso

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
US
I have received a request to enable tableview from a form, but I would like to allow only viewing and a return to the formview. I have told the user to use interactive filtering, but they insist on being able to view similar to an Access table. Is there a way to keep Pdox from spawning a new window for the table view?

Not sure if this is what you are after, but you couuld add a tabbed object to your form. Stick the stuff you have on there now on the first tab, then add a tableview to the second tab. That way they would only have to click the tab to get their (inferior) access look-a-like view, and your datamodel is already present.

Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Cool idea! I already had a tabbed form, so this was easy to do (how dumb am I that it wasn't obvious!). The added benefit here is that you still have excellent code control over other actions on the tableframe. Thanks.

Sonso,

FWIW, I generally provide such a table frame as the first tab in a notebook, so users can select the desired record and then modify details in the other tabs. I wrap the details in 1x1 multi-record objects so I can control record oriented actions, such as flyaway.

Also, if your users ask you to highlight the selected record in your tableview, you may find the sample code at helpful.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

In a tabbed form, it has been suggested that a table view such as is discussed above, would be useful to view projects.

I can not get this to work as described. I add a table view to a tabbed page. However, when I attampt to "define table", the desired table is not available. I can see it in the "define table object" but it is grey and can not be selected.

If I add another copy of the table, the two tabbed pages are not linked.

I am using Paradox V.8

The reason that you cannot select the table to be defined is because it is already defined as a multi record object. You will have to figure out what is defined as that table (such as a 1x1 multi-record object), remove the fields from that object, and then define the tableframe as that table.

Generally you can figure that out from the object tree on the object explorer. When you define a MRO as a certain table the MRO gets the same name as the defining table (less spaces and other unacceptable characters).

Hope that helps

James D. Howard

I am not certain I understand. I have a tabbed form which includes many fields from a variety of linked tables. However, none of these includes a MRO for that specific table. However, this table is the master table upon which all other tables are related.

I appreciate any advice. Please let me know what to look for or feel free to ask for any information which may be useful to you.

Alvin

If you are trying to enable tableview (as in Access) from the form you must have some primary table to view. The table object needs to be defined as that table. If you have child tables that are linked on a one to one releationship, they can be defined as fields within that table frame. If the fields are linked in a one to many relationship, that requires another MRO within that tableframe. Personally that is too complicated for the GUI for me.

You can go to my web site and see an example of a tableframe and detail page on a tabbed form at:

Click on the detail tab to view the detail record. Any additional one to many tables can reside on seperate tabs.

Are the users going to be doing data input through this? Perhaps you can simply query out the relevant data to an answer table and then create a dialog form that has the tableframe linked to the answer table.

Hope this helps, if not give more detail about the tables, how they are related, and what you need to display.

James D. Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back