Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datasheet doesn't reflect underlying data in Microsoft Graph 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terpsfan

Programmer
Dec 8, 2000
US
I have created a number of graphs in Access reports. However I can never seem to get the datasheet to reflect the underlying data. Can someone give me a heads up on how I would correct this? Thanks in advance...

Thanks...that link is a very good resource.

Actually none of those fine code examples on that site worked for my charts...however I figured out the answer. The datasheet doesn't bind if you are basing the chart on an unbound recordsource. If you use a dynamic query that isn't saved, you get the generic datasheet. If you use a stored query then the datasheet binds and shows actual data since it was last refreshed.

Hi there,

Omega36 can you explain what you meant by a stored query?

I've got a report that has a table record source. For each record in the table I wish to display a chart. In the detail section of this report I have set up a text box showing a description field from the current record and a chart that utilises the refreshing data mentioned on the site
The description is correct but the chart looks the same for all 16 records. Here is the code in my On Print event:
Code:
Dim dbs As Database
Dim qdf As QueryDef
Dim strSQL As String

Set dbs = CurrentDb

Debug.Print "me.ServerName="; Me.ServerName

strSQL = "SELECT ServerNames.ServerName, Drive_Space.DriveLetter, Drive_Space.Date, Drive_Space.FreeSpace, Drive_Space.DriveCapacity, Drive_Space.PercentFreeSpace " & _
            "FROM ServerNames INNER JOIN Drive_Space ON ServerNames.ServerID = Drive_Space.ServerID " & _
            "WHERE (((ServerNames.ServerName) = '" & Me.ServerName & "')) " & _
            "ORDER BY ServerNames.ServerName, Drive_Space.DriveLetter, Drive_Space.Date; "

Set qdf = dbs.QueryDefs("qsGenericServerChart")
    qdf.SQL = strSQL

Debug.Print strSQL

On Error Resume Next
    Dim objGraph As Object

Set objGraph = Me.Chart1.Object

objGraph.RowSource = "TRANSFORM Max(qsGenericServerChart.FreeSpace) AS MaxOfFreeSpace SELECT (Format([Date],'Short Date')) AS Expr1 FROM qsGenericServerChart GROUP BY (Int([Date])), (Format([Date],'Short Date')) PIVOT qsGenericServerChart.DriveLetter;"
    'This will update the data sheet
    objGraph.Application.Update

objGraph.Refresh
    DoEvents
    Set objGraph = Nothing

The debug print shows that I am stepping through all records in the table. While I page through the preview the report I look at the data view of the generic query "qsGenericServerChart" and it reflects the data for the current report. Therefore I can only assume that the chart is not updated using the data from the current generic query.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Cheers
Stable

Stable,
I don't believe you can change the RowSource property of subreports and chart controls after the report has begun formatting or printing. You are masking any error message by "On Error Resume Next".

First try remove line of code that sets the RowSource.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Hi Duane,

In actual fact I only inserted the rowsource line to see if it would make any difference - it did not. The rowsource does not change for each record in the Table.

Its the filtered data in "qsGenericServerChart" that changes with each new value of ServerName.

I will remove the on Error resume next statement when I go back to work on Monday.

cheers
Stable

The other thing I would try is to leave the server name in the crosstab and then use the Link Master/Child properties of the chart to filter the chart data.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Hi Duane,

I've removed the line of code that sets the rowsource - no difference.

I can't use the Link Master/child properties - the message I get is "Can't build a link between unbound forms".

I've put the chart into a subreport linked by ServerName field and kept the server name in the crosstab - still no difference.

I've also tried removing the servername from the crosstab - then I get data for all servers in the chart!

Do you have any other ideas?

Cheers
Stable

The method that has worked for me is setting the Link Master/Child. I don't care what the error message states when using the "builder wizard". If your report is bound to a record source with the serverName and the same field is in the graph Row Source then you can just type the field names into the properties.

Duane MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back