Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datalist Text Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptrace

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Hi,
The application I am working on requires the user to manually select a name from a Datalist then enter data about the name selected into textboxes, then subsequently submit the data. This must be done individually for each name in the list. The problem is that I wish to in some way highlight on the list the name when the operation has been performed, i.e. so the user will not get mixed up between which names have been already completed.

When I choose to highlight the text in bold it changes all names within he list.
me.dlistName.Font.Bold

How can I highlight in some way each individual name when required??

Please Help,
P. [sadeyes]

I am assuming you are using a listbox control for your datalist. You could change the listbox's style to a checkbox and then check the value when the data for the item in the listbox has all the required data entered. I hope this helps. If I am way off post some more details or some code and we can try something else. Good Luck Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.
[cheers]

Hi Foada,
I am using a DataList Control in this case because the list is only 'filled' upon login and I want to assign a Bound Column which stores a code for each name in the list. Therefore, when the user selects a name, the relevant code should appear within a textbox beside the list.

The problem is that the DataList Control does not offer a style change which would allow a checkbox to be included on the list.

Any ideas??

P [ponder]

Ptrace,

I have not used bound controls a whole lot, primarily because I found them too limited with just such a problem, therefore I do all my data control from code. The only work around I can think of off the top of my head would be taking a look at the datagrid control and then just display all the required fields. The user could just see if all the fields are filled. If you want to move away from the bound controls, I could help you use a regular listbox with a checkbox style and fill the listbox using code. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.
[cheers]

Foada,
I would still be interested in even using the regular listbox as long as you can think of a way of binding another field to it, as well as the one being displayed. The fact that I need the code associated with the name selected in the listbox, to be placed into the textbox is important.

How can I do this using the regular listbox??

P [afro2]

Ptrace,

I am really busy today but I will try to whip something up for you. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back