Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datalink views? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jballum

MIS
Jul 10, 2000
CA
A new client is complaining about performance issues.

I asked about their environment and they said they have a view server (I assume a database server but the database only has views set up on it) (Oracle 8.1.7) which consists solely of datalink views made up of base tables found in a database on a different database server (Oracle 8.0.6).

Does anyone know what the heck a datalink view is?

Does anyone know why anyone would have a set up this way rather than having the views on the database server and that is that?

If anyone can point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

JB

Thanks for the response sleepy.

That link has expired but thanks anyway.

I still don't see any advantages to creating a view locally based only on remote tables from the same database. Rather then just declare the view on the actual server with the tables and then accessing the view remotely.

Does anybody know any advantages?

JB

One advantage I've found in defining views for remote tables is security...

I don't want certain users connecting to my remote database, so I set up a local view which uses a link to select from those table(s)...then give select rights to that view.

Also handy when we need to write reports with 3rd party tools and join local tables with remote data (set up a local view...allows the reporting software which can only do one database login to see the data as if it were local and can therefore do joins, etc....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back