Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datagrid - Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

aBill

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
US
Ok, I have a nice datagrid that lists may table information all pretty.

Now I need to be able to edit the data. I do not want to use the builtin data editing on a datagrid, i would prefer to kick to another page that has an edit/update form.

My theory is that the way to do this is to use the Edit link in the datagrid to open the edit page form and pass it the identifier of the record to be updated. Sounds simple, but I have not been able to figure out how to pass the variable.

What is the best way to figure out the current row that was selected in the datagrid (via the edit link) and then pass one of the columns values??

thanks
btw. using vstudio 2003

Try redirecting (Response.Redirect) on the EditCommand event.

I would suggest passing the row identifier in the query string if the information is public, or in a session variable if you're dealing with sensitive information.

Thanks BolderBUm, but that is the part I have figured out already. Pass a value, err the key value, to the details page. Receive the value on the Detail page and then bring up the correct record.

What I am struggling with is how to get the value out of the selected row. I cannot figure out which property will give me the value. For example...

I want to pass the data in column A on the selected row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back