Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

databound grid: Converting textbox to checkbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

vituja123

Programmer
Jun 16, 2005
US
Hi All,

For one filed in my databound grid, I need to convert it from a textbox to a checkbox. But I cannot figure out the exact coding. I tried this but it doesn't work. It bombs out on the DIM statement below:

Sub LoadItemData(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DataGridItemEventArgs)

If e.Item.DataItem("DataType") = "Checkbox" Then
Dim ChkBox As CheckBox = CType(e.Item.Cells(1).Controls(1), CheckBox)
If e.Item.DataItem("ValueData") = "0" Or e.Item.DataItem("ValueData") = "N" Then
CType(e.Item.Cells(1).Controls(1), CheckBox).Checked = False
Else
CType(e.Item.Cells(1).Controls(1), CheckBox).Checked = True
End If
end if

end sub

You can't convert a control from one type to another. What are you trying to do?

Jim

it WILL bomb out at the dim statement unless you actually have added a chkbox to your grid. you can't declare something that's not there.

I have a datagrid with two columns, Label and textbox. When the data is being read and the fieldname is, lets say, "Testfield", i need to represent that as a checkbox instead of a textbox.

That's possible, but converting a TextBox to a CheckBox simply isn't - they are two completely different objects with different properties and methods.

All you need to do is get a reference to the relevant checkbox, and if the value of the label is "Testfield", then set the CheckBox's Checked property to True.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I think you are a little confused. If you want a checkbox, then you need to create the column as a template column and add a checkbox into it.

Jim

Thanks everyone. I just implemented something simular to jshurst example on 4guysfromrolla.

I think I got it to work.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back