Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Databases marketshare question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRHatBSSS

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2005
US
Hello to all,

I'm preparing a report on databases for an internal group and I would like to post the current marketshare (both by servers and $) for the top databases (oracle, db2, MS SQL, etc). I searched around on the "googleland" but could not find anything current enough or the numbers were conflicting.

Would anyone of you give me a tip on where to get those current numbers on the market share?

Thank you in advance.

Dont forget the Big Blue. There are probably more people using IBM Databases than any other if you count the usage by volume. I guess that would be DB2. IBM also has an area called U2 or Univers database area under which is the Universal Database and the one I am starting to use which is the Unidata Database. I think Unidata is a throwback from PICK which is actually a system which uses informix or Unidata. I believe Unidata is the successor to informix or something like that. The usage stats on it are probably fairly low. Unidata is not really totally Relational since it is in a family of databases that are considered Non 1st Normal Form. It uses Multi-value fields and associations or groups of fields or what you might call Subtables.

There may be a lot of people using things like MySQL.

I was looking at this site for SGI. They worked on a project for NASA. I dont know how many Business Customers would actually build something on that scale but their Operating system is based on Unix Linux and they claim they can scale up to a million petabytes or you can just download the 64 bit version they have in REDHAT Linux. They have some US Govt Clients and some clients that do stuff like weather modeling. I dont know how you quantify these giant Computer systems in the grand scheme of things.

There are probably some companies with gigantic databases somewhere, because someone is paying these guys.

Here is a flyer on the NASA Project:

I wonder if they use COBOL?

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It seems that each database vendor has its own definition of marketshare which depends on whether that definition provides them the highest ranking.

Marketshare has been measured in licenses sold, support revenue (active licenses), number of servers, number of users, number of companies using, and probably a few other methods.

You may have to pay to get the numbers you want. Companies such as Gartner collect unbiased evaluations of products such as databases. You could also try a few of these websites:

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back