Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Databases, Access vs Visual Basic 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinF

Technical User
Sep 19, 2000
FR
Hi,

Can anyone quickly sum up for me the advantages and disadvantages of writing database applications in Access or Visual Basic 6.

I know Access very well, so am familiar with most of the pro's and con's with it, but how does it compare with a database written in Visual basic, also is it easyish to produce reports from VB?

The application i am starting to plan out will involve a central table back-end database (probably written in Access), and remote front ends (which i am undecided as to write in Access, or attempt VB)

Thanks.

Funny this should come up, since I'm currently developing this sort of thing with both VB6 and Access 97.

My take is this: For rapid development of applications with complex data manipulation, Access is much better. For a solid and robust application that is less prone to odd errors, VB is the way to go.

Granted, in my case I'm using SQL7 back-ends. But that's my take.

In a nutshell (with the Access back-end), if you're not doing really messy tricks with the data, I'd use VB.

Well, Access is surely limited to what you can do. It is ok to use Access as a backend database for sometime - I mean if you have large volumes of data, even that is not recommended. SQL Server is more preferable. But if you do not have the means to go to SQL Server at this point, I would recommend you to use Access/VB combination.

But you might have to spend some extra time to get yourself familiar with VB and how it works and what are the common mistakes a beginner can make while programming in VB. This comes with experience. If time is not a issue here, go ahead with VB because the language has been designed for writing client/server applications. Also, I am sure the application will be more efficient and maintainable.

If you need your application fast, then stay with what you know since it will be easier for you to troubleshoot in case you come across any problems.

If you were just like me you can learn VB in 24 hours only. Yes, no kidding aside, I did learn the VB in 24 hours, this happened because I need to quit my job and take the other opportunity with a much better pay than I have. The other day I found myself working on a client/server applications in a multi-user environment.

Since you have a solid grounding with Access VBA, making the switch to VB6 should be pretty fun and painless. VB6 and Access VBA are language cousins, like Italian is to Spanish. In fact, Access is native to VB6. Add ins like Visidata and Data Form Designer allow you to create an Access backend DB with a VB6 front end in a matter of minutes. You'll still have to do quite a bit of coding afterwards to customize your application.

Thanks folks,

I have been messing around already with VB6 and Data Form Designer, and can see already how to put my application together.

One thing i haven't looked into yet is how to produce reports, is this straight forward? or is it a little more involved?

Thanks again

Report creation is very similar in both environments. Again, if you're doing a lot of "tricks" with the data, you'll have an easier time in Access.

VB6 comes with Crystal Reports. Sometimes it can be a real pain if you want to create complex reports. But otherwise for simpler reports it can be fun. There are many bits and pieces to it and you need to try them out in order to have a hang of it.

Access is so much quicker to write in than Vb that I would use it exclusively. The except is if you are selling a lot of copies, in which case VB is easier.
It is also easier to make a pretty VB programme than Access.
I have customers using Access front ends to SQL Server, and it works just fine.
The report writer thing in VB6 is a cut down version of Access. Except they cut all the useful bits out.
Crystal Reports is an abomination. It is difficult to use, except for really simple reports and the number of files it needs for installation is remarkable.
If you need a grid display, there is nothing that approaches the Access one in speed and ease of use. The third party VB ones are generally awkward to use and clunky in operation.
Access can get awkward if you need to display separate data from loads of tables on one form. Multiple subforms are slow. The alternative is to hand code it, just like vb anyway.
Bit of an Access fan myself!

you have on VB6 the Datareporter (simple) Eric De Decker
vbg.be@vbgroup.nl

Licence And Copy Protection AxtiveX.

Download Demo version on my Site:
Promotions before 02/28/2001 (free source codebook),visite my site

You most connected with a dataenviroment (see on MSDN cd ) samples Datareport Eric De Decker
vbg.be@vbgroup.nl

Licence And Copy Protection AxtiveX.

Download Demo version on my Site:
Promotions before 02/28/2001 (free source codebook),visite my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back