Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

apffal

Technical User
Apr 10, 2004
PT
I want to create a database in Java from an existing MS Visual FoxPro application.
What's the best way to do it ?

pfig

please do not crosspost thread269-655176

are you talking about wanting to port Vis FoxPro data to a database that is accessed by Java, or creating a database in java (not recommended). Databases can be "file-based" - ie a non-relational database, or a RDBMS - a relational database such as oracle ...

Please make yourself more clear.

What I want is to port Visual FoxPro data to a non-relational database accessed by Java.

pfig

Can't you access the foxpro files directly from java ? (or via JDBC ? )
pfig, it seems that you are getting more questions than answars ;-)

What I want is to create a database in Java with tables and SQL code from an Visual FoxPro application, for use in a no Windows system.
How to do it ?

pfig

Normally databases and programming-languages adress two different issues: one is for storing data, and the other is for making funny things with (parts of) that data (incl. generating new, deleting old, manipulating data).

There is a project 'hsqldb' which is a rdbms written in java and either keeping all the data in memory, or writing it to an xml-file (for shutdown).

But of course there are databases in no Windows system (are you talking of windowing-system or system:ms win?).
Both is true.
Database came very late to Windows.
and late to windowing systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back