Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database User Can't Edit Their Own SQL Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovatvvon

Programmer
Feb 1, 2001
US
Hi Everyone,

I have a user / client who created a SQL Job on their dedicated server, so they are set as the job owner, and they have permissions for SQLAgentUser in MSDB, but all of the sudden now, they can no longer edit their job (i.e. Job Steps, etc). We even set the user to SQLAgentOperatorRole, but no dice. They can still see the Job in SSMS, and open it to view the details, but cannot edit anything - it's grayed out.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

(btw, this is SQL 2005, CU9). We have CU9 on all our servers now, which amounts to a few hundred, but this is the only situation like that which we have come across.)

-Ovatvvon :-Q

Permissions is a multi-level issue that can be VERY hard to debug.

First, what is your AD setup?

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

I'm uncertain as to the Active Directory setup, since I don't handle that area. This was also for another DBA who sits next to me, not actually my client; but as I understand it, she was able to get it to work by removing the highest level from them. They had SQLAgent Operator Role enabled for their ID, and once removed (while still having the next two lower levels of access in MSDB), they were able to do it. That makes no sense at all, so I believe we're going to raise the question/issue to our Microsoft Premier Rep.

As I recall this is happening because of a bug with Management Studio. Try having the user/client login to the SQL Server, then open Management Studio from there (assuming the client tool is installed on the SQL Server).

This is a global company, and there are dozens and dozens of databases on each shared server from various groups throughout the company. We cannot/will not give access to the clients on the box itself. That's for our DBA's and Server Admin's only. :)

It actually turns out there was an issue, somehow, with the user's Domain Login being lower case at one point, and upper case at another. We had our Microsoft Premier support guy look at it, and he's writing it up as a bug to Microsoft, so it can be fixed.

(FYI: we have had SP2 for a long time, and are even up to date with the latest, CU9.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back