Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database size increases...and increases! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperadoh

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
AE
Hi,

The Exchange database consists of two files, priv1.stm and priv1.edb. The .edb file contains all the mails and the .sth (HTML) is for the .edb file what the FAT is for files - is this correct? Or can anyone explain the structure/relationship.
The problem is that even though I remove mails from my Exchange 2000, the .edb file is reduced, but the .stm file remains more or less the same. And it's a problem, because I am reaching the 16 GB limit fast! How do I decrease the .stm file size? The way I remove mails is by exporting to .pst file - isn't this enough to "get them out of the system", so the Exchange database "deletes' them from it's history?

Thanks in advance
Despera'doh!

you need to do an offline defrag. First off, check your event ID 1220 for defrag amount in priv.edb. This will give you an idea of white space. If it is more than 1GB then offline defrag otherwise don't bother.

Go to exchange system manager and work out WHO is at fault. Get them to tidy up. Check journalling entries as they are a waste. Check deleted item retention time as this can waste a lot of space.

Make sure backups are running correctly with an exchange agent and you are backing up BOTH server and mailbox level and are flushing committed logs.

This should get you going in the right direction.

Hi Zelandakh,

thanks for your help.
Oh, I DO defrag offline - once a week!
Anyway, have just finished another defrag, and it did help quite a lot, so I can breathe again for some time.
Retention time is 0 (I trust my backup! ;-) ), backup is done by Veritas' Backup agent, only thing: Flush committed logs - please explain.
I will keep moving mails to .pst files, it MUST help over time.
BTW is it correct the way I understand the two files, one for mails and one for keeping track of the mails?
Rgds
Despera'doh!

"Flush Committed Logs" means to delete the logs that have been committed (written) to the database (edb file), this means the log files do not build up, as they are deleted whenever you back up the database. Make sure you have circular logging turned off.

Try to get people to use Autoarchive or implement quotas, most people have no idea how big their mailbox is.

I'm only been using Ex2k for 2 weeks so I don't know what the stm file is for.

Exchange 2000 adds a new database file called the streaming store (i.e., the .stm file) to handle streaming and native Internet content. Internet clients such as POP3, IMAP, and HTTP use the streaming store exclusively. In addition, when content arrives through SMTP, Exchange 2000 pipes the content directly into the streaming store, thus bypassing the resource-intensive IMAIL conversion process that previous versions of Exchange Server used to convert native Internet content to RTF.

Hi,

Cuba7: No circular logging, disabled during installation.
Autoarchive is OK, but it is data based only, and some projects last longer than the periode of time of which the system automatically archives mails. Thats why people must clean up on their own (Yeah, I know :-( ).

leshill: We use OWA a lot - I think this is the problem.
.edb file: 7 GB
.stm file: 8 GB!
I can accept the .edb file size, but this .stm file is killing me!
Any way I can reduce the .stm file, but still use WEB mail?

Thanks in advance

Despera'doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back