Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
I'm putting a spec together for version 2 of our corporate site. They want a database to make the areas of the site only available at certain times and so on - hence I recommended a database rather than static html pages.<br><br>Am I right?<br><br>I'm looking at large numbers of pictures as well as lots of text.<br><br>What options do I have for databases and OS? I know SQL and NT but I don't want a one horse race. How about Apache, Oracle? Need buy on line i.e. security and something that I can find a programmer for.

<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;With Windows NT and SQL Server7 you can do everything you need to do, and more :) <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

Are there any other options as I will have to come up with two more database / storage methods and shoot them down before finally deciding on SQL server.<br><br>Once I have my NT Server and my SQL Server sitting there on the Net, what can I use to interface the data to the hmtl pages? <br><br>Dreamweaver is my baby, but I have not seen a way to put SQL into html using it. Presumably I'm into Java or asp. If I go asp am I limited to Frontpage 2000 and is it and good since FP98 was not...<br><br>Z

<i>Hey John, are you on commission from MSoft? ;-)</i> As it is, I probably agree with him SS7 is not too expensive, not too hard to use, and has some new features for handling text and pictures outside of the database.<br><br>Oracle is an option, and would allow you to go to Unix. Their databases are industrial strength though and come at a price.<br><br>If you wanted to do it on the cheap then there are other databases that could be used. More often than not the choice comes down to what dbs the people who have to program and run the system are used to. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= </a><br>

LOL jnicho... I WISH! <br><br>Zelandakh:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If you really don't want to go with FrontPage 2000 (which IMHO is an excellent product) You might try Cold Fusion by allaire. I don't really have any persoanl experience with Cold Fusion, but through my research have noticed that it seems to be the best thing out there for data manipulation. Of course, you COULD just use notepad, and write your ASP code by hand, but who on earth wants to do that? That's too much like work LOL<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

Sorry about that, I don't know where it came from.&nbsp;&nbsp;Almost everyone here knows that I like Linux, and would rarely use anything else, lest I'm forced to.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, if UNIX/Linux is not your cup of tea and you don't have any admins that know them, it may not be worth it, but on the other hand, you could use a cluster in which NT would then become your front end and the Linux machine would be the actual server that holds the database (i.e. enter all the input from NT, but store the actual database on the Linux server), but that should only be done if you have a few admins that know the stuff. <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

I'd love to use Linux as my database server for many reasons. Not least of which is reliability, security, stability and cost.<br><br>If I decide to ignore the NT solution (don't get me started) and go fully Linux, what are my options in terms of equivalents of asp and SQL.

The alternative to ASP on Linux is PHP or Perl, both of which are open source, but that's not really the most important point.&nbsp;&nbsp;Perl is very easy to learn, but PHP is a lot more flexible.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then again, you could alway use CGI, but who wants to deal with C over an internet connection (e and it's so outdated (it's not too flexible).<br>As far as SQL, MySQL is free for non-Microsoft OSes (which, of course includes Linux), and most commercial distributions (with the obvious exception of MS) support Linux.<br><br>PHP - <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> - <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (the Perl Monks - <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> - <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back