Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database restore after data file corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwolds

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

If there is a problem with a database data file why does bol/exam guides advise me to immediately back up the transaction log using NO_TRUNCATE?

I understand that you need to take a log backup to restore the database to its current status but why not clear out the inactive transactions after the backup?

I am revising for the 228 exam.

Thanks
Jon

I guess the NO_TRUNCATE is not option anymore if the database itself is damaged. That's only way you can
backup the latest transaction log.

I have deleted the .mdf file and it still lets me backup the log without using NO_TRUNCATE.

Jon

To my knowledge, the log is a .ldf file and totally separate to the .mdf file.

.ldf entries are written to the .mdf file when a checkpoint occurs or SQL server attempts recovery during startup.

Cheers,
Leigh

You're only as good as your last backup!

It only lets you backup the tran log for a database with a corrupt datafile when recovery mode is 'Simple', which means a transaction log back up is pointless anyway.

Jon

<quote jon>

It only lets you backup the tran log for a database with a corrupt datafile when recovery mode is 'Simple', which means a transaction log back up is pointless anyway.

</quote>

This is not correct, when the recovery mode is 'full' and the database is corrupt, you can use 'NO_TRUNCATE' to backup the latest transaction log. Try change the database recovery mode to 'full' and redo your test.

Sorry meant to say:

It only lets you backup the tran log for a database (without using NO_TRUNCATE) with a corrupt datafile when recovery mode is 'Simple', which means a transaction log back up is pointless anyway.
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back