Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DATABASE PROBLEM... PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lechuz

Programmer
Jan 8, 2003
MX
Im using crystal reports 9 and report application server.

When I try to access my report trough the ePortfolio, it prompts me for the userID and Password to access the database but when I provide them the login still not being succesfull...

I try with the same connection parameters trough the crystal report designer preview of the report and works fine, this only don't work in the application server... what could it be?

Extra information:

The database is in my intranet in a SQL server and I'm using ODBC to connect with it.

But if it where improperly configured... why does it work on the report designer?

If your web server is a different machine than your Report Designer client, you need to verify that the server recognises the database alias you're using regardless of whether you're connecting via ODBC or natively.

Check your hosts file, or sql.ini, or tnsnames.ora - whichever is appropriate for your database details. I'm positive this error is related to your server not recognising the database alias, rather than not recognising the account.

Naith

I was thinking the same Naith, but unfortunately I have the web server, the RAS server and Crystal Reports running on the same machine... I'm starting to think that maybe It's something related to the authentication to the SQL Server from web, maybe it's configured to allow only NT Authentication, but... Isn't no supposed that the report in crystal it's configured to work with NT authentication (trusted connection)...
Altough my next step when solving this problem, is to configure it to use mixed authentication because some of my report clients are running machines with linux.

I will appreciate more help on this issue

Okay, so we're getting somewhere now.

If we know that the whole kit and kaboodle is on the same box, but it works in Designer but not on the web, then we know that it's gotta be the web server.

Can you verify that the account which is running the web server has the rights to connect to your database? I'm guessing that that the answer to this is no. But if you want to test, log onto the Crystal Management Console with an administrator account, and test your connection through the webserver under the datasource tab. If it fails, then this is your man.

Change the account that is running the web component service to an account which can see the database. Or, grant the web account rights to see the db.

Naith

Mmmm... I'm a kind of new on this... wich is the Crystal Management Console? how can I run that on Crystal 9?

I'm working on the Crystal Reports 9 Advanced Edition, but it's the trial version (because I dont wan't to buy the license before knowing if it's going to work) and the only access that I can find trough the star menú it's to the RAS Configuration Manager.

If it don't exist in my version, maybe I can check this permisions trough the IIS isn't?

Sorry, when you said you had ePortfolio, I assumed you had the Crystal Management Console (CMC) too. If you had it, it would be at something like:
But if you don't have it, it's no big deal. I just mentioned the CMC as a means for you to test your database connectivity using the web component server. You can still find out who is running your web server, and whether or not they have access to the database without going through CMC.

Naith

Thanks to Naith I finally got the solution.

ePortfolio does not work with windows Authentication to log into the SQL Server and my DNS was configured to use that Authentication.

I have created new DNS with SQL server authentication, and then pointed my reports to that new DNS and now I can log into database and view my reports.

Note: This will work only if your SQL server it's configured to allow connections in "mixed mode" not only with Windows Authentication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back