Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database Oracle Error ORA-01031 : Insufficient privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2003
SA
Hi,
Sir
Please let me know why this problem is coming when I am creating a new database.
My solaris 8 base oracle 8i is running smothly on Intel platfom but when I try to create a new database on the same then Oracle Error ORA-01031 : Insufficient privileges are encounter.
Thanks in advance and regards
Raj

Rashid,

Usually, when "ORA-01031 : Insufficient privileges" occurs, it is because either a) your are not connected "as sysdba" to the utility you are using, or b) the operating-system-user login that is attempting to create (or startup or shutdown) the database is not a member of the "DBA" group on the machine.

In Unix, you can confirm what Oracle believes is the "DBA" group by doing the following:

"cat $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/config.s"

The name(s) following the ".ascii" entries is/are the authorised group(s) to create/startup/shutdown the database.

To confirm the Unix group to which the current login is a member, enter this Unix command: "id". The name following the "gid" entry should match one of the ".ascii" entries, above.

On Windows, to confirm that a Windows user has appropriate permission to create/startup/shutdown an Oracle database, navigate as follows: "Start..Settings..Control Panel..Users (and Passwords)..Users[tab]. Under "Users for this Computer", look for the current logged-in user and confirm the "Group" for that user; if your user is not a member of "ORA_DBA" group, then you will receive the
"ORA-01031 : Insufficient privileges" when you attempt to create/startup/shutdown an Oracle database.

Dave
Sandy, Utah, USA @ 20:29 GMT, 13:30 Mountain Time

Hi
Thank to you both mr. alexhu and Mr. SantaMufasa to try to solve my problem.
I am using Group and user that from I install my Oracle .
When I use to create a new database through dbassit it is working normal and step is coming
One by one but after finished GUI mode and start operation to create Database .
First it is Creating and Starting Oracle Instance is ok.
But during Creating Database File this Error is Coming

Oracle Error ORA-01031 : Insufficient privileges are encounter.

thanks in advance & Regards

Do you have permssion to write to trhe filesystem where your database is to be created ?

Alex

Mr. Alex
Hi
Yes there Datafile is creating where full filesystem permission rwx

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back