Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

poochie

Technical User
Dec 8, 2000
GB
I would like to perform maintenance on my AS VLBD. Using Server Admin I want to perform Database Initialization. Can you please let me know what data resides in the following databases:
ASJOB
ASMEDIA
ASOBJECT
ASRHOST
ASTAPE
ASTPDRV
ASTPSDAT
With a bit of guidance as to which one would be safe to initialize with the consequence in doing so
The Database size at the moment is as follows:
Astpsdat.000 = 872,178 KB
Astpsdat.001 = 591,872 KB
Astpsdat.002 = 392,224 KB
Asobject.000 = 81,472 KB
Asobject.002 = 71,200 KB
Asobject.004 = 53,216 KB
Asobject.003 = 15,328

I have a lot of *.chg Files, what are they and are they safe to delete?

Thank you for you help.

Pooch

ASJOB - Holds the information about the job
ASMEDIA - Holds the media pool information
ASOBJECT -
ASRHOST
ASTAPE - Holds the tape & the drive Info
ASTPDRV - Holds tape drivers info...
ASTPSDAT - Backup information .. (Session info & Seq Info.)

Use server manager to Init the database...
To maintain the database have a look in this URL,

Update us on the outcome,

DatabaseBaba

Hey Database Baby
Thanks for the update. Can you please help out with the other aspect of my Thread

I have a lot of *.chg Files, what are they and are they safe to delete?
With a bit of guidance as to which one would be safe to initialize with the consequence in doing so?

You say that I should Use server manager to Init the database...I thought this is done from Server Admin...........

I have gone to the URL and it helps a lot.

Cheers

Pooch
7/11/02

I am not database Baby i am DatabaseBaba...

Deleting R files is not going to affect anything. These R files in the database folder indicated your database has a problem.

If you want to Init a database i would tell you to Init only ASTPSDAT which has the backup information. You can always merge the tapes to the database and do a restore.

DatabaseBaba

Deleting R files is not going to affect anything. These R files in the database folder indicated your database has a problem

What are you talking about DatabaseBaba..................

I've gone about running the Dbcheck Utility from the Command prompt and received the following :
Failed to log into server'arcserve;admin:secret',username'admin':error -2005

I am using the correct username and password and the ARCServe Database engine and service is running (I even stopped and started the AS Database service/engine.

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem getting the ArcServe engine to start, as I open ArcServe Manager the Database engine tries to start then timesout. I stopped and started all the services, rebooted th box countless times.

The box is located in California and I'm in NJ, it's running ArcServe 2000 Advanced with NT4 and Exchange. The person who was the admin was just let go and I'm realizing this thing hasn't been backed up in a week.

Any help for a desperate person!!!

thanks

Thanks for that Slim...........I thought for a moment that you were responding to my problem. You haven't got nothing to share with relation to my query. I think next time you should consider openning up a new Thread for yourself and post your problem there.

With regards to your problem....A few questions for you.
What message do you get when you are trying to start the Database Engine?
Can you look in the Activity Log to see what was happenning just before the Databse Engine failed and after it failed?
Did the person who used to administer the Arcserve left on good terms?

Please get back

Pooch 8/11/02 15:00

Sorry about that,I didn't even realize I was still in the same thread.

I was able to get it to work though, by renaming the database folder, installing arcserve on a test server and copying that database folder over,,,thanks much to DatabaseBaBa...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back