Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database maintenace question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maswien

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
CA

Is it useful to add a SQL Server job to check the integrity of the databases and log the problem if the dbcc checkdb does returns error pages? Thanks

Yes. You will want to check your database on a regular bases for integrity problems. You will want to catch problems when they first show up. If you don't you can end up loosing data when you repair the problem.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

The maintenance plan job for intergrity check has repair option, is this job used to detect integrity problem or fix intergrity problem? I don't understand how it works, if the database has no problem, this job will be successfule, if database does have problem, this job fail, Am I right?

The job will fail giving you details what caused it to fail. Like what page of database has the problem or sumthing like that. You could run the job manually first to check if you are getting any issues, and then you could schedule it.

--Kishore

so the purpose of this maintenance job is to report problems?

Yes, and if you look at the whole maintenance job it also rebuilds the indexes which is a neccessary task for sql server

I created a maintenence plan for a database and check every option in create maintenance plan wizard, then I looked the jobs directory in EM, I can't find any rebuild index maintenance job, how can I create this job?

I would not rebuild your indexes unless you really need to do so. Instead, about once a month, run DBCC INDEXDEFRAG.

What's the difference? Rebuilding the indexes is an 'offline' operation. The tables will be unavailable to your users. Defragging the indexes leaves the tables accessable.

Read the BOL for more information. You really should make the BOL your friend as it has lots of helpful information about SQL Server.

BOL=Books OnLine=Microsoft SQL Server's HELP
Installed as part of the Client Tools
Found at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine
or online at:

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back