Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenk1973

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
GB
How can i kick users out??

I am trying to compact a database. All users have logged out, but for some reason the database still thinks they are connected!!!

This does usually resolve itself if you leave the database for a while, but when trying to minimise down time you don't want to wait.

Any suggestion gratefilly received.

Thanks

Stephen

Check to make sure the .ldb file has been deleted.

If not, and all users are out, you should be able to delete it manually. You can then log on and do the compact.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Yes looked at that, opened with note pad and can see the names of the people the database thinkk are still looged in. Unfortunately i can't touch as its locked, i'd guess to the same people.

What i'm looking for is a way of resetting the connections for these users.

Thanks

Stepehn

One way I've found to get around the locking issue is to copy the DB to another location, compact the copy, then overwrite the original with the copy.

You would not want to do this during the hours where there might actually be a user updating the database for any reason. But if you schedule it to run during the wee hours of the morning, it should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

- Glen

Know thy data.

Stephen:

You say the users say they are logged off but the .ldb shows them as active?

If possible, verify that they have indeed closed the db. If they are all out, it may be possible to delete the .ldb file.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Yep tried all that. Sometime the person apparently locking it up is me ( in the ldb file) and i know i'm definitely not in.

Thanks

Stephen

Take a look at the AppUser file. This lets you see who is still logged into a database and who has left it in a "suspect state"

This may help you find out who is causing the problems.

Ben

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara "Where are all the stupid people from...
...And how'd they get so dumb?"
rockband.gif
NoFX-The Decline
----------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back