Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database is too large 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folk

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
US
I've built a database that, in each register, I must put information and 6 color photos.
In order to keep it small and fast, I've choose to create 6 OLE linked (not embedded) fields in my table.
Also, I have a folder to store the photos and they're in the JPG format (about 25Kb each).
As I inserted 5 registers, the database size jumped from 5Mb to 20Mb and I still have to insert about 200 registers!

Thanks

Paulo

Can you put the jpg's on a network drive and simply store the path/name of them in the database?
HF

is there a reason that you are using an OLE Link field? Why not just store the file name? (or is that what you are doing?)

If you change to that and still have size problems, then its something else, not the pictures.

The problem is that the images must appear into some forms and some reports that I'm gonna print...

On the open event of your form just load the required picture into an image control. In your report just link the pictures at run-time.
HF

Hi,

Try compacting your database, through access or:

---------------------------------------------------------
Dim JRO As JRO.JetEngine
Set JRO = New JRO.JetEngine

JRO.CompactDatabase ConnectionStr, NewConnectionStr
---------------------------------------------------------
Reference to: Microsoft Jet and Replication Objects 2.5 Library

Sunaj

I'm gonna try both the tips.
Hellferret: Will I have to write any code to do this?

Yep.

Loading the pic into an Image control won't be too much of a problem:
'on Form Open
image1.Picture = LoadPicture("c:\pic.jpg")

The imbedding the picture into your report depends on how you are doing it, shouldn't be too tricky though.

HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back