Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database insert Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvuppa1

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
Can any one help with some database issues.
I have to deal with huge tables like tableA (70 mil rows )and TableB(45 mil rows.) and they grow on timely basis.
Every month I have to insert from TableB into Table A with some calculations. On an avg. a month's data is around 5 Mil.
The way Im doing right now is creating some staging tables before we insert into tableA. But, I need to come up with something effective and efficient way.

Appreciate ur help

Thanks

-P

pvuppal

In order to help you out, I would need some additional information regarding the System you have.

- Is the Database FOCUS? DB2? Other?
- How much data do you store 12 months, 24 months, no limit
- Is the data made available on-line?
- Reporting requirements

etc.

This would help determine a posssible more efficient approach.

rasanders ,
thanks for the reply,
database: MSSQL server 2k
the data we have is from 200212 till date. All I need is to come up with some idea which could improve my data-loading procedure for every month(abt 3mil rows). which takes the data from a table(45 mil rows)and inserts into another table(70Mil rows) after performing all the required calculations.
I hope Im not confusing you.

Appreciate ur help

Thanks
-P

pvuppa1

OK

Then, how long is the current process taking?

Is the current process written with Web FOCUS? If so, have you considered switching to a SQL Server Stored Procedure?

Are the Tables Indexed properly for your process?

Again, if you could provide more information, it would help.

My experience DO NOT USE OLTP DBMS for such task:

Maybe it looks silly, but why not trying "Inteligent Partition" and store data in FOCUS database?

I use such approach to store telephony calls :)

Loading/Reporting will be extremly fast. XFOCUS will apper soon. If you don't like FOCUS, you can test Sybace IQ - extreamly good DBMS.

Pranas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back