Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database in older version

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I am doing some work for a client that has a database that was created in V8.0.5(for netware) ...they saved the entrie oracle directory on a dat tape....Then deleted oracle all together...They installed 8I and now have a clean version with no databases..I need to copy the database from 8.0.5 and be able to open it with the new version...

there is only one database in the older version...

Is the database folder in the oracle directory the only thing i need to copy into the new version? or is there more?..

I havent worked with oracle that much..maybe there's another way to do this???

can anyone advise me?

Thanks in advance

I'm think I understand your question. There is not as I understand it a database directory. An Oracle database consists of a series of data files and these can be stored anywhere you want on the file system of the machine where the RDBMS is located. However a cold backup of database will normally expect the datafiles to exist in the locations pointed to in the binary control file. If your client did a 'backup control file to trace' before removing the database then you will be able to see where the files resided and you can mirror that set up on the box. If you're client has a valid export of the database you can rebuild the database placing the datafiles where you wish and then import the export. Hope this helps.

I think upgrading the database from 8.0.5 to 8i makes the issue more complex than just restoring database files from tape. After you restore the files you will need to run a database upgrade to get your old database compatible with 8i. There should be a tool called Database Migration Assistant to help you with this.

Unfortunately there may be other complications. I remember reading about an Oracle bug which sometimes prevents successful database upgrades to 8i from earlier versions of Oracle. After you run the upgrade your database may not open successfully. There's a script that can be run on your 8.0.5 database that predicts whether you will encounter this bug. It's unfortunate that they've already uninstalled 8.0.5. If you're unlucky enough to encounter the bug, you may need to reinstall 8.0.5 and rethink your upgrade strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back