Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database for non delphi user. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgross

Programmer
May 7, 2007
GB
Hi, I'm creating a database but it needs to go on a pc that doesn't have delphi installed. I'm currently using a paradox 7 table which is on good as the other user needs Delphi install to run it. Which database standard should I use?

Thank you.

MSDE or MS SQL Server 2005 Express are both free downloads.

Hope this helps

[vampire][bat]

you dont need delphi to run your paradox app, you need the BDE.

Aaron

Ok so If i create a mysql database how do i access it in delphi?

If I were dgrose and assumed his level of expertise, based on his question, I'd be very confused by the answers given so far. Therefore, I offer the following summation:

Delphi's default database type is Paradox. It's not the best, but good for quick database development, particularly beginners. What the others have suggested is to use the better database types available. The database drivers and links to your tables (whichever you choose) will need to be installed on your Delphi development PC as well as your users (client) PCs that will launch your created application.

When you installed Delphi, if BDE (Borland Database Engine) is included with your version of Delphi, it's installed by default. The Delphi IDE uses the DBE to connect to Paradox tables either directly (TTable) or through Local-SQL (TQuery). If you application has unit DB and/or unit DBTables anywhere in your Uses clause, your application also depends on the BDE.

If you've created your database and DB-aware forms with BDE, to run your app on client PCs, you must also install the BDE on those client PCs. To do this, search your Delphi installed PC for file "bdedeploy.txt", usually located in folder "..\Borland Shared\BDE\". It contains instructions for deploying the DBE without installing Delphi.

Observations:[ul]
[li]Asking questions in this forum about BDE will most likely get you a reply like "don't use it" before anyone willing to help you can reply. This is most unfortunate.[/li]
[li]Continued use of the BDE becomes a crutch and only delays learning SQL while teaching you techniques that will not apply once you finally make the switch to SQL.[/li]
[li]If you must use the BDE, use TQuery rather than TTable. At least this will get you familiar with SQL Queries[/li][/ul]
HTH (hope that helps)

Roo
Delphi Rules!

that makes sense roo! star for you...

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Inline with Roo's observations regarding the BDE...

I haven't used MySQL, but my preferred method for small applications is to use an Access database. In a Windows environment, distributing your app requires much less effort, as every Windows XP+ machine can access them. (For earlier machines, download the Jet install for free). To use one, set up the database in Access first, and then use the ADO components (TADOTable, TADOQuery, TADOConnection, etc.). You would need to select the Jet driver from the list when setting up the connection string.

The BDE uses aliases, which I always struggled with and abhored, despite finding some nifty code to set these up automatically.

I'm just getting into MySQL and so far like it very much. I'm fortunate enough to have a hosting service ( that supports it and keeps it current so my tables are accessible over the internet. I'm still hesitant to install it on the company network (Server 2003 SBS standard - no MS-SQL Server). I do have a SQL Server 2005 license but have not yet installed that either. Any tips, suggestions or warnings?

RE: BDE aliases - I had no problem creating or using aliases. Trouble arises when installing to client PCs because they too now require the Alias Manager. For this reason I always hard coded the full path name in the DatabaseName property instead of the alias name. What drove me away was fighting those PARADOX.LCK and PDOXUSRS.LCK files when run over a network.

I've always avoided Access because it seems too VB-ish. I also feel that having all your tables within a single disk file is just asking for trouble. I've heard horror stories about what Access does when tables get huge. Don't get me started on [yuk]ODBC[/yuk].

Thanks for the input & ta daddy f/da star!

Roo
Delphi Rules!

Well, I tried MySQL with a new project and couldn't get connected to it. Using MySQL 5, TSQLConnection wouldn't connect citing that it couldn't find LIBMYSQL.DLL. After some searching I found that Delphi 6 was designed for MySQL 3, and that it requires an upgrade to work with MySQL 4. But I couldn't find a way to connect to MySQL 5.

I then downloaded an ODBC driver for MySQL 5 but when used with TADOConnection, it just gave me an Access Violation every time I tried to connect.

I want MySQL 5 because it's the first version to support referential integrity via constraints. I think it's dangerous to have a database without this.

I use MySQL and Delphi 7 for most of my database projects. MySQL is much better than single user databases such as Access, dBASE or Paradox.

I use dbExpress to access MySQL from Delphi. However, I found that the Borland/CodeGear drivers for MySQL were (are?) buggy. I use drivers from Core Lab. See
These database projects are for my own use and I have not investigated installing a MySQL / CrLab application on other users machines.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

I use dbGo for quikc/small projects with backend database on Access/MssQL/MySQL. for medium to large projects I prefer to use zeoslib. It is a good alternative for ADO and can connect to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Interbase, Firebird, MS SQL, Sybase, Oracle and SQLite. Check it out here :

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

ZeosLib is definitely the way to go! I was having fits with MySQL until discovering it. I was able to connect 1st try! I was unaware that it could also be used to connect to the others. Awesome!

I'll have to check out dbGo.

Roo
Delphi Rules!

ZeosLib component is OK for connecting to MySQL and several other database standards. The downside is, ZeosLib tries to be as compatible as possible with several DB standards at once. Hence it's not recommended if you need to use a certain features that only exist on a certain DB standard. Then again, ZeosLib is good if you want to access more than one DB standards using a single Delphi project.

But if you really want to focus on MySQL, and be able to use specific MySQL features, I suggest you to use CoreLab MySQL component. It's fast, and easily deployable. All you need is your .exe file and libmysql.dll in a same directory.

If you want a lite deployment, don't use BDE. It will be an extra 6 MB for your project (and you won't need them all).

I hope that helps :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back