Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database engine can't lock table??

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmith56

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
US
I have a table in Access 2000 that I cannot open or delete. When I try to delete it I get this msg:

"The database engine could not lock table because it is already in use by another person or process"

I am the only user, I have re-installed several times and it won't go away.....Please help

You say that you have reinstalled; do you mean that you have reinstalled Access? Have you compacted the database? Also try importing the table into another database?

Kathryn

You may have multiple copies of the database open. Maybe it is linked to another mdb which is open.

Two things to try:
With Access off, go and find the .LDb that may be sitting beside your database. Delete it. (It is rebuilt each time the Db is opened.)
Look through the table for what I would call a "jammed" record: could be in any field, and usually says #deleted#.
If you find one like this it is holding up the whole mess. You can try to delete it or try to copy all the other records to another table (not a fun process...) Good luck, Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back