Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database engine cannot find the input table or query

Status
Not open for further replies.

theConjurian

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2002
CA
I have an application that has been performing a mail merge successfully for some time. I recently performed the following structural changes to the database:
1. I converted from .mdb to .accdb
2. Later I split the application and database to frontend/backend which reverted the types to .mdb

In the process I started to get the error, "The Microsoft Access database engine cannot find the table or query 'contact_Select_Quer'

The relevant code follows:

With CurrentDb
If QueryExists("Contact_Select_Query") Then
.QueryDefs.Delete ("Contact_Select_Query")
End If

strContactSelect = "SELECT * FROM Contacts WHERE [Contacts].[ContactID] = " & Forms![Contacts Browse]!ContactID & ";"

Set qdfNew = .CreateQueryDef("Contact_Select_Query", strContactSelect)

.Close
End With

Call cmdFileDialog(doc, logCancelFlag)

If logCancelFlag = False Then
DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrHide"

Set objfso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objfile = objfso.GetFile(doc)
strFileName = objfso.GetFileName(objfile)

Set objWord = GetObject(doc)

objWord.Application.Visible = True

objWord.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:=CurrentDb.Name, _
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM Contact_Select_Query", _
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord

' NOTE: The actual merge is executed manually

DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrShow"
End If

It appears as if Word is not getting the correct query name, even though I CAN connect to the query from Word after the connection fails. Can anyone suggest what might have changed?

Duane:
Although changing the query property may be a better approach to setting the query parameter, this does nothing to solve the problem.

When Word starts up, it presents the usual message:

Opening this document will run the following SQL command:
SELECT * FROM 'Contact_Select_Query'

Clicking on yes, Word then opens the document and throws the following error:

Error has occurred: The Microsoft Access database engine cannot find the input table or query 'contact_Select_Quer'

The message reads:

Error has occurred: The Microsoft Access database engine cannot find the input table or query 'ontact_Select_Quer'

The leading 'C' and the trailing 'y' are BOTH missing.

I'm runninng:
Windows 7
Office 2010

Same error and Word opens two versions of the document (one is the full screen reading view).

As you said, Duane, that REALLY doesn't answer the question. Nor does it explain what Word is doing with the query.

What it's also suggesting is that I don't work the way that you do and don't have time to create a test environment to see if it works for me. Have you attempted to simplify your code down to the basics and see if it works? Maybe hard code a simple table and document.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Since it is split my guess is that the CurrentDB is not pointing to the correct db therefore it cannot find the query. I think the name issue is just a problem in the error message and not a cause. I would be a little more specific in this case and error check this to see if it is correct. I think the problem line is here:

Name:=CurrentDb.Name

So try this
Code:
dim db as dao.database
dim dbName as string

set db = currentDb
dbname = db.name
'verify
debug.print dbName
If QueryExists("Contact_Select_Query") Then
   db.QueryDefs.Delete ("Contact_Select_Query")
End If
strContactSelect = "SELECT * FROM Contacts WHERE [Contacts].[ContactID] = " & Forms![Contacts Browse]!ContactID & ";"
Set qdfNew = db.CreateQueryDef("Contact_Select_Query", strContactSelect)
Call cmdFileDialog(doc, logCancelFlag)
If logCancelFlag = False Then DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrHide"
Set objfso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objfile = objfso.GetFile(doc)
strFileName = objfso.GetFileName(objfile)
Set objWord = GetObject(doc)
objWord.Application.Visible = True
objWord.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
'To verify if my assumption is correct
debug.print "The currentDB is: " & currentdb.name
DbName, _
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM Contact_Select_Query", _
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord
' NOTE: The actual merge is executed manually
DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrShow"
End If

There are some specific differences when you split a database how DAO references.

Also you may want to read this.

You need to be careful when working with currentdb. Currentdb is not an object, but a function. It is a function that returns a pointer to the current db. Especially when working with any automation, you may want to explicitly set a reference. The object no longer valid error, can drive you crazy if not aware of this.

Thank you MajP.

I'm not sure I get why the pointer would change, but that is for another time.

The code you posted, however, does not compile. It fails at

dbname = db.name

with the error "object required. What am I missing?

I would simplify to the lowest point possible and rebuild. Check all of the merge fields and maybe remove them one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

What if you replace the currentdb with dbEngine.Workspaces(0).Databases(0)
The only way you could get that error if for some reason currentdb is not returning a pointer to the database. Could be some kind of corruption. I would create a new fresh front end. Then import in your forms, reports, queries, and modules. Compact and repair. Make sure to readd all references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back