Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database EC=-2013, Maximum Session Limit? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegg

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
AU
Hi All,

First time poster, nice forum you've got here.
With the pleasantries out of the way, I am having some trouble with Arcserve2000 for WinNT/2000, namely the inability of my servers to get the database info to the central Arcserve VLDB on another server.

The error code is:
E4101 - Unable to login to Database Engine.(DATABASE=ARCSERVE, EC=-2013)

The description for db error code -2013 is:
This indicates that you attempted to log in to the server too many times and ran out of sessions. Increase the maximum session limit using rdsadm.exe

I checked out rdsadm.exe as well as admin.exe, and changed the Client side entry for "Sessions" from 20 to 40 on all my servers, and this did not seem to help. Besides I don't see why it should be necessary to do this anyway.

Also note that the local databases for each server are updated correctly, it is only the central that don't work.
And even it works ok if I run a local backup job on it.

Oh yeah I'm running SP4 as well.

Any ideas?

Thanking you very much for your most illustrious assistance,
Edward

On the machine with the Central DB, look in arcserve$\connect.ini for Sessions=20. Change that to a higher value, as that is what is getting the session count exceeded.

If you look in arcserve$\rds.log, you should see the Session count.

With that said, I strongly recommend using SQL server for a Central Database. If it is in a SAN environment with a tape library, then I would not even keep a local copy on the distributed nodes.

Thanks Jabus,
I increased the Session value in connect.ini to 60, we will see how that goes.
But I checked out the rds.log, and by the looks of it I never have more than 4 sessions running at a time, and most frequently there is only 1. How could this error be occuring then?

Regards,
Edward

Everytime the RDS.exe service starts, it renames the RDS.LOG to RDS.BAK, and creates a new RDS.LOG. It is possible that the errors were in the .BAK file, or lost altogether if the DB engines was stopped/started several times.

Please let us know if that works.

Jabus,

No luck. The changes I made to the connect.ini file on the main server made no difference, and I went through and checked all the rds.log & rds.bak files, and none of them go above 4 active sessions at a time.
That being said, is it normal behaviour for their to be a login & logout every second for a period of time? This seems to be occuring on all my servers.

Also I will keep your suggestion of a SQL Database in mind, although I would prefer not to have to go down that path at this point.

Thanks,
Edward

If you are getting a whole stream of error messages within a second or two, then that is "normal". It does not allow enough time for authentication before giving the error message.

Change the Database engines on all the nodes to start with the ARCserve system account instead of LocalSystem. This should stop those errors. Make sure the ARCserve system account has full perms to the arcserve$ share.

Well, it's looking good now. I've run a backup job and it propagated to the central server. The true test however will be tonights backup.

Anyway the thing that seemed to fix it was a reboot of the machine. I noticed it had been running for 2 months straight so I gave it one, and it worked afterwards.
Silly me. =P

Anyway thanks for your help jabus, I've changed all the database engines to start with the system account as well.

Regards,
Edward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back