Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database doesn't work from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiora

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
US
I designed a database which contains products, descriptions and prices. It seems like it works fine on the hard drive. I burned it onto a cd and when I click on the forms that search the database, they are blank. No data or buttons or anything.

Has anyone ever tried to run a database from a CD? Is this possible?

One possible problem is that the CD version is read only. Not quite sure of the implication, but it might be relevant.

It is not possible to use an access application directly from a CD. This is because when you open an Access file, it creates a lock file (.ldb). If it cannot create this file, which is the case when using it from a CD, the database will be read only. You won't be able to enter any data or make changes to an application that you are running from a CD. The only option is to copy the Access file to your hard drive and run it from there.

I feel your pain .. I was just there a short time ago. Here's what I can suggest from what I've learned.
1. Any of your queries should be based on a form that is not based on a table (i.e. if you're looking to search by product #, then create a from with a text field called "product" and base your query on the form forms!productsearch!product
2. Create an autorun.inf file that will open the database and the form that is set to run on open (in this example "ProductSearch")

Hope this helps .. let me know if you have any questions

John

Suzy9680 is absolutely right. Can't think how I forgot that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back