Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database crashes on different computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveno

Programmer
Aug 5, 2004
GB
ANy help is appriciated.

I've been working on the front end of a database using forms that have buttons to open and close them. I have office 2002 SP3 on my box which created the front end and the computers i want to open the database have SP2. When i try to open it on the other boxes it just freezes up and stops responding and the task has to be ended.. I know i can use buttons as the original front end i made used buttons and works. The only thing i've changed is i have taken the close minimize and maximise buttons away from the from could this be the problem?

Thanks for the help

Forms,Maximize or Minimize, are not the reasons for the crash. If it's a bound form, there must be a data collision which you must analyze and resolve.

niether of the forms that crash are bound. The ones that are work ok. The forms that crash are there simply for navigational purpose and only have buttons on them. The VB code complies on both computers ok with out any errors.

Thanks for the reply anymore help?

Can you not open the db at all on the other machines or does it only freeze when you click on the unbound forms?
You said you compiled on the other boxes. That suggests they have the "Full" version. Have you checked that all the references are there?
I'm asking because I just recently converted from 97 under NT to 2002 under XP and I'm experiencing, while not exactly your problem, very unexplainable problems and I am losing my mind.
maybe we can work out both our problems, then sue Microsoft for non-support!

While giving some thought to your issue, something very important occured to me. MS Office installs itself into the registry with a maximum of 9,500 file handles to handle Access data traffic and this is a serious limitation and which must be increased! If your database handles more a few thousand records (combined in all tables), it will stall!!! This can be changed in the registry and/or when opening an Access application. The number of handles can be a very large arbitrary number. I have increased it to 200,000 in the registry and further increased it to 500,000 in some of my applications where I handle over 18,000,000 records in a single field - single table. (Postal codes).

Create the Autoexec macro and select the RunCode command to point to this Public function called =fnMaxLocksPerFile() <- this being the command line syntax.

Public Function fnMaxLocksPerFile()
DBEngine.SetOption dbMaxLocksPerFile, 200000
End Function

In the registry, it is also called MaxLocksPerFile and you can search it and change the value (it occurs in 2 places) This may help.

I also noticed last night that Microsoft released an important patch for Access XP. Go to their Office XP website downloads and install it, it can't make matters worse than they are now.

As for Office/Access XP, last week was the 3rd time within the past 15 months that I installed it complete, updated it with everything under the sun, and ended up removing it and gone back to 2000. All installs were done with having erased MS Office 2000 completely so that there would be no traces to update from a previous installation (MS Office does that). This included manually removing all Office related folders and references, cleaning out the registry, both manually and with RegEdit and ran Norton Speed disk to eliminate anything overlooked. All this didn't help.

The forms freeze when i click on them! The do all access the full version of the database as it is kept on a shared drive! There are only about 300 records in the database at the moment so i don't think the above will be the problem!

Do the forms freeze when only one user accesses the shared database?

Win2000P/Acc2000 - It's best to stay with products that work.

Steve,
Do the forms freeze if you run them without having any others open? I had an error closing form 2 but ONLY if I came from form 1. It didn't occur if I opened form 2 directly. Have you tried single stepping to see what instruction they're hanging on? Finally, I'd suggest re-building the problem forms from scratch.

Let me know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back