Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database corupted, need to restore Emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEChriss

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
The infomation Store database is corupted. I beieve I have a good backup of the database.

Is there a white paper out there that gives step by step instructions on how to restore the database and integrate all the pages created since the database was corupted.

Also, in case my back is not good is there a white paper with step by step instructions on how to rebuild the database and check it for integrity

HELP

What does the below information mean. I hope it means the lastback was good and then the database was corupted.

last known good backup:
Verify of "\\MAILSVR\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
Backup set #9 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Daily Backup"

Verify started on 7/8/2004 at 7:40:10 AM.

transaction log files start at 7/8/2004 4:04 AM.

Any help will be appreciated

I am not going to be restoing from veritas. I believe that my windows backup backed upthe corupted database. Will that chg anything with the procedure?

Who mentioned Veritas? That link IS about Windows Backup!

And, if I may say so, you use 'I believe' quite alot. That is not a safe position in disaster/recovery, you better be very, very sure about what you are doing, before doing it!
Backups should be tested before you actually need them, otherwise, you may get a nasty surprise one day.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

You are right, the "I believe"statements. I am new to exchange and I am not sure how the backup and transactions logs work. I do have a good back up. what I do not know is if trans logs are all the ones that should be there from the last backup. If not will the restore work if not what are my options.

When I read the link it appeared to be for windows backup.

I am backing up with windows but by the time I noticed the coruption I looked at the report on the windows backup app and it was already stating it thaought the back up was corrupted.

Shoudl I just attempted to repair the database

any kuseful suggestion will be appreciated

Thanks for your help so far.

Well, if it is corrupt, you do not have much choice.
One or more GOOD backups are recommended, and if you have any doubts, get someone in to do it for you.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back