Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk2

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
What causes a database file to become corrupt. I have encoutered this problem a few times in the last week. I realize that access can try and fix the file. But it seems to be happening too often to just have bad luck. It seems like its being caused by something. Any thoughts?

it is on a file server being networked yes. How can you minimize the risk of this happening.

As in Real Life (which I am careful to keep separate from Work, MS Access, and Computers.. :), corruption can come from many sources. If you have a back end file on a network share, and your users have front end files on their own workstations, sometimes the act of passing data back and forth and having one or more workstations temporarily disconnect from the network path can cause corruption, as the back end gets puzzled and decides to randomly thrash index files.

Obviously, any time an Access DB is not "closed" normally it can get corrupted, because of the number of open files that are used to maintain indices, etc.

Since it's difficult to predict, virtually impossible to prevent, and nerve-wracking to recover from, the best possible solution is to take, and have, frequent backups. Depending on your situation and how much actual activity takes place, two or three quick backups a day might not be extrordinary.

Jim Me? Ambivalent? Well, yes and no....
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

I have a user testing an Access 2000 app I inherited, and I'm paranoid about corruption, as the damn thing seems to corrupt so easily. So I was surprised when my user decided that the reason she was getting corruption (under Windows 98) was due to the temporary files - she had formerly worked for a big IT company and the help desk always said clear the temporay files whenever she had odd problems. She cleared these files out and the "restored" app worked, exactly the same process had failed repeatedly until she cleared out the temporary files. I'm sceptical as I can't believe that an excess of temporary files can cause corruption, but am equally worried, as if this is a cause of the corruption then I can see me losing even more money on this app than I have so far, I'm losing all faith in Access as a robust tool, at least when mainly built using the Wizards.

:-(

John

Another idea -- If you're putting any code behind your forms be sure to compile the database frequently. Also, if you do any cutting and pasting or dragging and dropping be sure to compile the database BEFORE saving the object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back