Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database containers, tables, and appending to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phunt

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2002
US
I am trying to use a table (which is part of a .dbc). When I attempt to append to it, I get the message that the ALIAS is not found. I have selected it, etc. It does not matter if the table is used exclusive or shared.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Phunt,

It is likely that the DBC holds a persistant relationship to another table and so is trying to alter another table which you have not opened in the data environment or at the place where you opened the table for update.

So find that table in relation and also open it. You problem is likely to vanish. You should take care that sufficient information related to other table is available.

It could be that a transaction table you are checking and deleting or changing records of another table under a delete trigger or an update trigger.

:)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G)

Are you using VFP7? If so have you applied SP1?

I found a bug in VFP7 whereby if you opened a table using an alias e.g.

Code:
USE mytable ALIAS mytable1 IN 0

VFP7 wouldn't recognise the alias name properly. SP1 fixed this.

Thank you to everyone who answered. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back