Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database connection to SQL Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmishue

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
US
Hey Everyone,
Need help with this database connection in ASP. I am getting the following error on the line that is in bold below: An exception of type 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'calendarinfotable'.'was not handled.

My SQL database table's name is calendarinfotable and my recorded is not being added. I can successfully run the SQL Statement in SQL and I can see from writing it to the screen that all the variables are being passed correctly from my form.

This is the first time that I have connected to a database this way so I am probably doing something wrong there. Can someone please help?

Thanks tmishue

Code:
<BODY>
<%
internala = Request.Form(&quot;internalh&quot;)
froma = Request.Form(&quot;fromh&quot;)
categorya = Request.Form(&quot;categoryh&quot;)
locationa = Request.Form(&quot;locationh&quot;)
rooma = Request.Form(&quot;roomh&quot;)'
subjecta = Request.Form(&quot;subjecth&quot;)
personala = Request.Form(&quot;personalh&quot;)
toemaila = Request.Form(&quot;toemailh&quot;)
startdatea = Request.Form(&quot;startdateh&quot;)
starttimea = Request.Form(&quot;starttimeh&quot;)
enddatea = Request.Form(&quot;enddateh&quot;)
endtimea = Request.Form(&quot;endtimeh&quot;)

Set CCSCal=Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
CCSCal.ConnectionTimeout=40
CCSCal.Open &quot;DSN=CCSCalendarSQL&quot;

sqlStatement = &quot;INSERT INTO calendarinfotable(DepartmentSchool, Category, Subject, Room, Location, StartDate, StartTime, EndDate, EndTime, Intranet, Toemail, Personal) VALUES ('&quot;& cstr(froma) & &quot;','&quot;& cstr(categorya) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(subjecta) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(rooma) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(locationa) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(startdatea) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(starttimea) &&quot;', '&quot;& enddatea &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(endtimea) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(internala) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(toemaila) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(personala) &&quot;')&quot;
Response.Write(sqlStatement)
Set recordSet=CCSCal.Execute(sqlStatement)
Code:
CCSCal.Close
Set CCSCal=Nothing
Response.Write(&quot;Appointment Added!&quot;)
%>

You can't set a recordset in that way. The reason is that your query will return nothing, so the recordset will have nothing.

Instead, since you are just doing an insert, use:
CCSCal.Execute(sqlStatement)

without the Set recordset.

Other than that, assuming that your sql statement is correct, there should be no other problems. If there are, post back...

hth
leo

oh yeah -
you can use conn.execute to open a recordset, in order to do it you would need to use a &quot;SELECT .... FROM ...&quot; query... that will work.

Still get the same error when running debug and my record is still not added.

Here's what I did changing the bolded line as you suggested:
Code:
Set CCSCal=Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
CCSCal.ConnectionTimeout=40
CCSCal.Open &quot;DSN=CCSCalendarSQL&quot;

sqlStatement = &quot;INSERT INTO calendarinfotable(DepartmentSchool, Category, Subject, Room, Location, StartDate, StartTime, EndDate, EndTime, Intranet, Toemail, Personal) VALUES ('&quot;& cstr(froma) & &quot;','&quot;& cstr(categorya) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(subjecta) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(rooma) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(locationa) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(startdatea) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(starttimea) &&quot;', '&quot;& enddatea &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(endtimea) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(internala) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(toemaila) &&quot;', '&quot;& cstr(personala) &&quot;')&quot;
Response.Write(sqlStatement)

CCSCal.Execute(sqlStatement)
Code:
CCSCal.Close
Set CCSCal=Nothing
My SQL Statement works in SQL Query Analyzer. I copied the statement written out to the screen and pasted it in the Query Analyzer and ran it and the record was added so my statement works, I don't know what I'm doing wrong in the connection though.

Thanks for the prompt response and help.

tmishue

does your DSN work in other pages? If not, it might be a problem with your DSN. Check it to make sure that it's pointing towards the right DB and what not.

hth ---------
Leo Mendoza
lmendoza@students.depaul.edu

I know this is trivial, but when i copied your code into notepad, i noticed that there is no space between calendarinfotable(DepartmentSchool this, as far as I know, is wrong. it should be
calendarinfotable (DepartmentSchool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back