Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database connect.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze

Programmer
Jul 16, 1999
US
When I try to connect to the database, it gives me an error <br>
&quot;Unable to initialize client library context&quot; followed by<br>
&quot;Unable to connect to the database&quot;. This started happening suddenly and I can connect to the databases from another terminal without any problems. Any thoughts?????

I'm not sure what kind of database your connecting to so I'll give the cheat<br>
<br>
1) connect to a valid database (the default is fine).<br>
2) Open database painter<br>
3) Open the Design then Options from the menu.<br>
4) Turn off &quot;Use Powersoft Repository&quot;<br>
5) Connect to actual DB<br>
<br>
Powerbuilder creats system tables for formating options and business rules (ie Validation). If this is being done at the DB level then a PB Repository isn't needed. If you do want it you must first create a &quot;system profile&quot; and connect to the db with that. PB will create the tables necessary and fill them appropriatly.<br>
<br>

Hey Rossman,<br>
<br>
Thanks for your response but it didn't seem to solve the problem. I still get the same error message as before. When I try to choose the database profile, that is when the problem occurs. I can connect using the same profile on another machine and that is why I am so confused. Further instruction would be greatly appreciated.....Hubert

Hey rossman,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the help, figured it out though; there was an environment variable that was screwed up that was causing the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back