Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database command prompt utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw1234

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
GB
Hi there,

I have been trying to use dbcheck/fix/defrag utilities to maintain the database, as the database seems to have problems eventually if I just leave alone, I useally end up initalising the database and starting again, but this is not entirely satisfactory as I have started to do some rotation backups, but my problem is the utilities take for ever to finish, almost 48 hours in some cases, can anyone offer tips on these utilities or suggest some ways in speeding things up.

Kind Regards

Richard Wallis

Hi,
In my opinion, just to initialise astpsdat database.
This is the biggest one and it doesn't lose any information about rotation backups (these last is found on the asmedia and asobject database)
Thus, the utilities to maintain database take no more time.
Herve

Each of the utilities has a –p option that permits using more memory.
-p = Set number of pages in the server cache to #

Velocis.ini
Velocis.ini is found in the ARCserve\Database directory. The value for the entries MaxCachePages and MemoryLimit may both be multiplied by 2 or 4 for increased performance.

The more often the utilities are run the less time they will take to complete. In general the larger the database is the slower the operation will run. For example it will take more time to check 100 records in a 2gb database than it will take to check 100 records in a 1gb database.

But just inilitizing astpsdat is like rvb91 said the quickest route. Perhaps init that one and maintain the others. See the faqs for more data on the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back