Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database blocksize vs filesystem blocksize discrepancy: future problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bi

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
I have Oracle databases on 3 different Unix platforms: Solaris 7, AIX, and HP-UX.

When I created the filesystems on the Sun and HP boxes, the filesystem block size was specified as 8192. The default blocksize (and the largest possible) for AIX 4.3.3 is 4096.

I have done a dbv on datafiles on all three systems. The Sun system's datafile was OK: the database blocksize and the filesystem blocksize are both 8192.

On the HP and AIX systems, I got a message: Specified blocksize (2048) differs from actual (4096 -- in the case of the aix system -- or 8192 -- in the case of the HP system). The dbv command output began and ended with that error message.

Because of the discrepancy between the database blocksize and the fielsystem blocksize, will we run into any problems in the future? For example, will we be able to extend tablespace without problems?

I'm fairly sure that the only reason you are getting this error is because the db_verify command has a default blocksize of 2048. If the actual blocksize of your file is different from the db_verify default, you need to specify the correct blocksize using the "blocksize=" parameter.

Try rerunning db_verify with the extra parameter. I'm not sure what the actual command is on your o/s, but it would be similar to the following

dbverify blocksize=4096 file=your_file_name

How to insert image in a table in oracle 8.0 and view it?
send ur reply to sekar_dba@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back