Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database backends......

Status
Not open for further replies.

edrest

Programmer
Apr 22, 2000
US
Hello all.....

What database backends are you asp'ers using with IIS and Win 2000 pro?

Got a real important choice to make and want to make the best one so your opinions are real important to me! Thanks.

Tom Gahagan
edrest@alltel.net

REST

If you get a chance to sit out or dance...

I hope you dance. L Wommack

SQL Server is the preferred ASP'ers choice since it's all microsoft technologies.

Starting out with Access is popular and is easy to upsize to SQL when the time comes.

BDC.

Many start with Access and upgrade to SQL when the time comes (as BDC2 said)
However, the MSDE is an easier upgrade route as it's 100% compatible with SQL, and essentially free.

MSDE=Microsoft Database Engine

Thanks Hector.. BDC...

I'm familiar with MSDE....I've done a desktop app with it but have been pretty much told it is very limited in the area of serveral useres at once. So I'm surprised that it might be used on the web.... it gives something to think about though. Thanks again all for the direction.

Tom Gahagan
tgahagan@charter.net

REST

If you get a chance to sit out or dance...

I hope you dance. L Wommack

It's limitation is 5 concurrent users. However, it's not "real" users, but the equivalent of 5 users' load.

If you open and close your connections quickly, you can use it quite well.

Bear in mind, that if you have enough traffic that your users aren't being served, you should use a real database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back