Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database and Server stored in .rpt file

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiarak

Programmer
Nov 26, 2001
AU
Hi,

My basic problem is that I need to connect to several sybase databases from different servers to run the same report. Currently this means having 3-4 versions of each report seeing as the server and database details seem to be stored in the .rpt file somewhere. What I am trying to aviod is having multiple versions of the same report. Is it possible to manipulate the .rpt file to change the server and database login information???

Thanks a million for your help,

Chiara

No it is not possible.
You can accomplish your goal by writing a program in Visual Basic or (for the web) in ASP. There are other similar solutions. Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Hi,

Thanks so much for replying, I do appreciate the help. But am I right in thinking that even if I use ASP to set logon dynamically that I need a separate verion of the .rpt file saved for the report for each server/database combinationn on each server??
What I am basically trying to avoid is having more than one .rpt file per report - I suspect that this is not possible seeing as the .rpt file is not modifable..can you please confirm??

Appreciat it ..
Thanks

Chiara

The only solution to this is thru programming rpts. You can thru Crystal libraries included in VB or ASP programs, Change the user and logons dynamically. After changing you can verify database and then invoke the report. But the problem with this approach is that it is very slow. The firing will still happen in same time , but the overall time to change info in rpt stru increases.

Hi,
I would like to automate and schedule Crystal Reports ver 8.0
Is any one has any idea how to automate and schedule reports?
I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Kishor

Chiara,

You can create a stored procedure and/or a view that is stored on one server.

Point CR to the View. Design the whole report around the view. CR and your users won't know that it is comming off several servers.

hth
Mike Mike Davis
MSsql, VB and Crystal Reports Developer

kmahindr,

There are several third party products for scheduling, like the one at CrystalDesk.com, or you could look at Crystal Enterprise if you want an Industrial Strength solution. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

CrystalDesk is an excellent way to schedule your reports.
Go to:
to download an evaluation copy. Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back