Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Update Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmj

Programmer
Aug 2, 2000
US
I am using code to enter data into fields that are linked to an existing record in a database. The problem is that the record is not being updated ( at least I can't see that it is) until I exit out of the program and then go back into it. How can I update the record without exiting??

I have tried adoCallInfo.Update("Field") but it does not work.

Could you post the code on the board so we could go through it?

Delton Phillips.
deltonphillips@hotmail.com

I am not sure about this for your code, but you could try the following after you do the update:

DBEngine.Idle dbRefreshCache

I believe it forces the access jet to write any changes to the database.

This may or may not help, give it a try and advise the forums. Very little experience in programming
But I do know VB5, InstallShield Express 2.1X
and Access 97.

Here is part of the code from the OK Button on my "Clear Call" dialog box. The subs that I am calling are just performing routine math functions. I am no sure if I am using the Update correct. I keep getting errors if I try to specify a field.

dlgClearCall.Hide
Call LogSheet
frmDispatchEntry.adoCallInfo.Recordset.Update
Call TotalCostDetail
Call TaxRate

DBEngine.Idle dbRefreshCache

'Find All Calls
Value = frmDispatchEntry.grdDispatchedCalls.Columns("Call No").Text
Dim strQuery As String
strQuery = &quot;Select * From CallInfo Where CallNo <=&quot; &amp; Value

With frmDispatchEntry.adoCallInfo
.RecordSource = strQuery
.Refresh
End With

With frmDispatchEntry.grdDispatch
.ClearFields
.ReBind
End With
frmDispatchEntry.adoCallInfo.Recordset.MoveLast

I had the same problem, I think. I opened a global recordset, and had a form that would add records to it. When I needed to access the added records through the global recordset, they would not be there.

I opened the global recordset with the Dynamic cursor type. Then cleared any filters (adorecset.filter=&quot;&quot;) and requery the recordset(adorecset.requery) after the new data is entered on the other form.

This worked for me, I hope it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back