Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Transfer using ADO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2003
US
Need sample code for transferring records from two disparate databases like Informix to Oracle and vice versa using ADO. I'll be transferring anywhere between 100 records to 16,000 records.

There's no special code needed that I can think of. The only thing you should need to do is set up the connections to the different systems. It could be as simple as 2 different DSN connections or OLEDB.

Or, if you have a SQL Server, you can setup a DTS package (even though neither source nor destination is SQL Server) to transfer the data. This would be my preferred method.

How would the code like if I needed to get the results from the first database to the second database. For example I can get the recordset from my MS SQL databse, but how do I pass these records over to the Oracle connection to perform an insert of these records?

If you're wanting to do it based on a recordset then you will have to loop through each record and do INSERT statements, or write an output file that is imported into Oracle.

I am not an Oracle user so I don't really know if they have anything comparable to SQL Servers DTS.

Do you have sample code to loop through the recordset to insert into Oracle table? This sounds like it would take forever to insert 200,000 records.

There is plenty of code on this forum that will loop you through a recordset and insert values. Do a keyword search here or look through the FAQ section.

Thanks for feedbacks.

I used Access to link the two tables and created a query to perform inserts. Man, it would take 4 hrs to complete the job. Does anyone know if ADO is being used when using an Access query to perform an insert?

One of the reason I preferred avoiding using sqlldr was my inexperienced knowledge of Unix, since this Oracle instance runs on a Solaris box. I guess just suck it up and learn how to shell script and schedule in Cron.

Thanks again.

My guess would be that Access is using its own interface directly to Jet. If not that, then it would more likely use DAO, but I doubt it. ADO seems the least likely though unless you've coded to use ADO in VBA.

>>My guess would be that Access is using its own interface directly to Jet

Jet would be integrating with the ODBC drivers that would be used for Oracle and MySQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back