Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Transfer using a crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

whomai

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2005
US
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please point out the settings that need to be carried to transfer data from one laptop to another using crossover cable. Both laptops use Win XP.

Thanks.

My Network Places, open Veiw Network Settings, double click Local Area Connection, click on Properties, highlight Internet Protocol, click Properties, change to use the following IP address, for IP Address use something like 192.168.1.10 on one and 192.168.1.11 on the other, make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both, and the gateway 192.168.1.1 on both. Click Ok all the way out.

Open My Computer, if your have a hand on your Shared Documents folder just drag the files you want to move to this folder. If not right click on Shared Documents and click sharing and security. The first time I had to click a link that told it to go to shraing without running a wizzard, then check the box that says Share this folder on the network. Now move the files you want to transfer to the shared folder.

Start, Control Panel, System, then Computer Name tab, verify that the workgroups are the same.

Hook up your crossover cable(I'm asuming you are referring to a network crossover), and just in case reboot both machines(probably not nessasary). Now you should find each machine in your network neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back