Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data transfer from Access 97 to Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavla

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
GB
I have both Access 97 and Access 2000 installed on my machine. I am able to run both versions of Access simultaneously.

I need to, on a regular basis, transfer data from the Access 97 database into the Access 2000 database. When this transfer is going on I would have just the Access 97 database opened.

To initiate the transfer I tried to employ OpenDatabase function in the following format:
OpenDatabase ("Access2000DatabaseName", False, False, "MSACCESS 9.0;") to establish the connection to the Access 2000 database so that I could then open its tables to populate them with the Access 97 data.

However, as soon as the code execution reaches the OpenDatabase function, a runtime error 3170 occurs: "Could not find installable ISAM". How can I initialize the Access 2000 database from the Access 97 database to complete the transfer?

Many thanks for any help.
Regards, Pavla

I don't think you can do that. A97 won't recognize an A2K database. You can do it the other way around though: read the A97 database from the A2K.
"The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

Cant you just open the 97 database in 2000 and convert it?

Yes, if you don't mind not being able to open it in A97 anymore. Another option would be to open it in A2K and NOT convert it. When you do that you cannot make any design changes while in A2K

Of course you could convert it to A2K and keep both versions, but that's a bit of a development pain.
"The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

How about linking the tables in the 97 database to the 2000 database and writing an append query in A2k to do what you want.

I believe the tables from the 97 database can be imported into 2000.

Yup, that works. "The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back