Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Sent/Received - Interface monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozer

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
Is there a way to create a base program that would catch all data sent/received on a given interface? Can one use winsock to monitor all connections or is there another way of doing this on windows machines?

I would like to have total control over my interface connections so I can monitor all connections to insure they are only connections i have established. Kinda like a firewall, but I also want to monitor the number of bits/bytes sent and received via the interface. I intend on programing a server that controls/monitors connections and a client that can connect to the server to see what connections and bandwidth are being used. But i need to know the best way to monitor the interface. Can I use a winsock API and load the program at startup before any other programs and monitor all connections that way?

Anybody know if I can perform this with winsock VB programming?

Anybody know how to do something like this at all?

Hello! I find out via another forum that VB is not the optimal code to perform this sort of action, which is probably why nobody here had a clue of how to perform this. I was told that VC++ would be needed to perform this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back