Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data restore from data and log files only. Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvrander

Programmer
Oct 24, 2003
GB
Kind of been dropped in it at the deep end here.

I have had an install of sybase on a server stop working. I have a new install of sybase on another server (same version of sybase and windows 2000 server). I also have the data and log files from the original server however I don't have a dump file.

Is it possible to get a functioning database just from the old data and log files? and if so can anyone tell me how?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

mvrander,

There must be several ways to do this, i know only one. Get your server working with the latest backup, the you can use the Sybase Central->Utilities->Translate Log, and select the log file you want to use, select the options you want (ex. restore with uncommited transactions, etc), this will generate a .sql file that you can open and execute from isql. There are command line utilities to perform this too.
This is a way of restoring for a ASA server, i haven't work a lot with ASE but i think you can use this method anyway.

Hope this helps,

David.

Thanks David

I'll let you know how I get on. Does anyone else know of any other ways?

I know if I was using sqlserver I sould do an attach database and use the live files, is there a sybase equivalant?

I think there is no attach database command for Sybase, but you can try to create a new empty database with the same definiton (name, size, ... including database devices) as the original database, then replace the files created for this new database with the ones corresponding to your database.

Thanks for the help everyone have managed to repair the old install of sybase in the end.

Just in case anyone ever needs to know a Sybase service will not respond if it is installed on a machine which has more than around 10 IP adresses adssigned to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back